Saturday, February 27, 2010

According to the Book of Order...

This semester I am taking the Cross and the State class along with Presbyterian History and Polity.  I am actually beginning to like the Book of Order...alot (and so are several of my classmates)!  I assume that most of us know that Jesus encourages his followers to visit the imprisoned (check out Matthew 25); however, did you know that the PC(U.S.A.)'s Book of Order does, too?! 

"God send the church in the powr of the Holy Spirit to exercise compassion to the world,
a.  feeding the hungry
b.  comforting the grieving
c.  caring for the sick
d.  visiting the prisoners
e.  freeing the captives
f.  sheltering the homeless
g.  befriending the lonely"

W-7.3000 

I am by no means saying the the BOO has more authority than Scripture, but as Presbyterian Christians we have Scripture and the tradition of the church encouraging us to live out our faith through specific activities.  Many churches are powerful advocates of the homeless, hungry, sick, grieving, and lonely...how many do the same thing for the prisoners and captives? 

Stan shared with us in class on Wednesday that the churches traditionally involved in prison ministry include Catholics, Evangelical Protestants, and Peace Churches (Mennonite and Quaker).  Several days later, in light of what I have read in the BOO, I am still puzzled as to why the PC(U.S.A.) denomination is not more involved in prison ministry.  To be honest, I can easily think of reasons as to why this is true, but I think they are rather petty and insignificant.  You know, visiting the imprisoned is not pretty or easy, but God is there...in EVERY prison.  And, where God is, that is where we are called to be as followers of Christ.  I pray that I will have the strength to live out all the components of compassion listed in the BOO in my life as one answering the call to serve. 

My last question...what do y'all think?   

2 comments:

  1. Again MK, I can't agree more.
    I'm struck by the compartmentalization that I see in our churches in dealing with this list.
    A & F - feeding hungry and sheltering homeless. I see many, many churches focusing on this, opening up their doors for shelter and collecting tons of food for local pantries. PCUSA does good work here.
    B & C - grieving and sick. Falls heavily on pastors. CPE and Pastoral Care.
    G - befriend the lonely. Wonderful message for Sunday School and Children's Sermons. "I can sit next to the person who doesnt have many friends in the lunch room to show the love of Christ." Kinda let that one fade off in adult hood.
    D & E - visit prisons and free captives. These are the two that are politically charged! These two take courage and strength and willingness to put yourself out there in often dangerous ways.
    I feel I could do better in all these things and I pray that we will all gain the strength of the Spirit to hold these strongly in our hearts throughout our calls.
    To follow Christ is not to follow a comfortable Messiah. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Will for your insightful comments. I like how you divided up the "dimensions" of comfort in the BOO and looked at how we really accomplish them. At DPC right now they are wanting people to turn in "Time and Talent" Surveys. Maybe it would be a good idea to form these around these takes from W-7.3000...

    ReplyDelete